Factory-made wheels such as those commonly sold with new bikes are usually great. There are however, times when your requirements don’t match up neatly with what is commonly available in bike shops. Examples of this include:
- You wish to use rare or no-longer common wheel sizes, such as fractional 28, 26 and 20 inch wheels (ETRTO 635, 590, 451mm respectively)
- You wish to use no-longer common rim types, such as Westwood rims (as used with rod brakes)
- You wish to re-use an existing rim, for reasons such as preserving authenticity on a vintage bike, or simple aesthetics
- You have an older bike with steel rims and you would like to upgrade to aluminium so the bike can actually be stopped during rainfall
- You wish to use internal hub gears
- You wish to use drum or roller brakes
- You wish to use a hub-dynamo
- Your needs encompass several of the above in a single wheel
With these needs in mind, I am pleased to announce that I will now be offering a wheel-building service. If all parts are provided, I can build a wheel for as little as £15, with all profits being donated to The Cycling Embassy of Great Britain. If you require help choosing or acquiring the parts needed for your needs I will be happy to assist you, with arrangements being on an individual basis according to your needs. Ideally it will be easier to work with local customers, but I see no reason why completed wheels could not be posted out to those of you further afield.
To arrange a wheel-build, drop me an email via manchestercycling [at] gmail [dot] com
Alternatively, if you wish to donate to The Cycling Embassy of Great Britain directly, you can now do so through PayPal.